Remove this ad

Lead

Feb 8 13 3:42 PM

Tags : :

Christie Continues To Batter Doctor...shows what he's made of.....2 tons of waste.

Dr. Connie Mariano, the former White House doctor who drew the ire of New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R) for saying his obesity was not healthy -- he called her a "hack" -- actually got a phone call from the governor, KTVK-TV reports.

Said Mariano: "It was essentially the tone of the press conference only louder. It was hard to get anything across."

Ironically, Mariano was a Christie supporter but isn't likely to back him in 2016: "The way he acted lately I don't think so. He wasn't very nice to me. Politically if this is the way he handles stress... is this presidential? I'll have to think about that. Is this a presidential way to behave? C'mon."

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

ron4342

fanatic

#1 [url]

Feb 8 13 3:57 PM

Christie Continues To Batter Doctor...shows what he's made of.....2 tons of waste.
Dr. Connie Mariano, the former White House doctor who drew the ire of New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R) for saying his obesity was not healthy -- he called her a "hack" -- actually got a phone call from the governor, KTVK-TV reports.Said Mariano: "It was essentially the tone of the press conference only louder. It was hard to get anything across."Ironically, Mariano was a Christie supporter but isn't likely to back him in 2016: "The way he acted lately I don't think so. He wasn't very nice to me. Politically if this is the way he handles stress... is this presidential? I'll have to think about that. Is this a presidential way to behave? C'mon."

-stuhunter

It does make an excellent example of how christie will handle personal criticism.  He would have been better off to have made an initial comment and then to have let the whole thing blow over.  Better yet, he could have made a statement expressing the fact that his weight has been an ongoing problem his whole life and it is not something he has ignored.  The last person we want in the White House is someone who explodes when being criticized because you can be DAMN sure, whether Democrat or republican, there will be personal criticism.

I never left the republican party. It left me when it decided to worship lies, ignorance, stupidity and greed.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Feb 8 13 4:02 PM

It does make an excellent example of how christie will handle personal criticism.  He would have been better off to have made an initial comment and then to have let the whole thing blow over.  Better yet, he could have made a statement expressing the fact that his weight has been an ongoing problem his whole life and it is not something he has ignored.  The last person we want in the White House is someone who explodes when being criticized because you can be DAMN sure, whether Democrat or republican, there will be personal criticism.

-ron4342

Christie doesn't have the temperament or grace it takes to be president. All for naught anyway, HRC will be our next president....thus burning holes in Repuke' tiny pinheads.

Quote    Reply   

elcymoo

fanatic

#4 [url]

Feb 8 13 6:38 PM

Dr. Connie Mariano, the former White House doctor who drew the ire of New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R) for saying his obesity was not healthy -- he called her a "hack" -- actually got a phone call from the governor, KTVK-TV reports.Said Mariano: "It was essentially the tone of the press conference only louder. It was hard to get anything across."Ironically, Mariano was a Christie supporter but isn't likely to back him in 2016: "The way he acted lately I don't think so. He wasn't very nice to me. Politically if this is the way he handles stress... is this presidential? I'll have to think about that. Is this a presidential way to behave? C'mon."

-stuhunter

I've heard one so-called liberal commentator after another criticizing the doctor for 'bringing up Christie's weight', and predicting that it will wind up helping Christie in the end.  I disagree, on both counts.

The doctor really wasn't the one who brought up the matter of Christie's weight. He'd done it himself when he joked about it at considerable length on David Letterman's show. I didn't watch that show, but I did see clips of it, and although he bragged about how healthy he was, I'm pretty sure he said that his doctor had told him that his weight was going to catch up with him relatively quickly (I don't remember his exact words).

Christie attacked the doctor for diagnosing him at such a great distance without ever examining him or knowing his family history, but this wasn't a case like Sen, (and Dr.) Bill Frist 'diagnosing' that poor brain-dead woman in FL, based on nothing more than a deceptive video. No one needs to be a doctor or a 'genius', as Christie mockingly said, to see that Christie is way past the standard for morbid obesity. Most of us know that such obesity entails a much higher risk of heart attack or stroke.

His initial thin-skinned and very public reaction was bad enough, I thought, but I don't see any way that continuing to 'batter' the doctor helps him in the long run.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Feb 8 13 7:03 PM

-stuhunter

I have not been a fan of Gov. Christie.   But I think Dr. Connie Mariano is absolutely irresponsible for offering her medical opinion, from across the U.S.  She does not have his records and apparently has never met him.  She has written a book and apparently wants her 15 minutes of fame and also, of course, to sell her book.  If I needed a medical opinion, I would absolutely never, never go to see Dr. Mariano.

Gov. Christie is very outspoken, but, in my opinion, the Governor was absolutely right.  He said that the "doctor" scared his 9-year-old son who asked his father whether he was going to die.

Dr. Mariano:  a disgrace to medicine.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Feb 8 13 7:16 PM

I don't see why this is even a story.
More than half of America is fat, so why pick on Christie?
He's an adult and he knows the risks of being overweight.So what!  It's his business if he wants to stay fat. If his voters feel his weight is a problem to the way he does his job, then don't vote for him.

I don't like all of his politics but I do like his style. He gets the job done.
HIs biggest taboo against the GOP is Christie actually will talk and work with people across the asile to solve problems and get the job done.

OH! THE HUMANITY!!

Vinnie

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Feb 8 13 7:57 PM

Seems to me if one is going to vote for Christie you should need two ballots...

"When you find a quotation on the internet attributed to me, please take the time to research whether or not I actually said it" -- Thomas Jefferson 1827

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Feb 8 13 10:01 PM

Seems to me if one is going to vote for Christie you should need two ballots...

-gardenofyourmind

//////////////

So, If you're voting for a really skinny governor do you get just half of a ballot?

Vinnie

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

ron4342

fanatic

#11 [url]

Feb 8 13 10:15 PM

//////////////
So, If you're voting for a really skinny governor do you get just half of a ballot?
Vinnie

-vinniebagadonuts

People, I think you are missing the point.  Christie has a weight problem and is well aware of it.  No one wants to be fat.  Two people can eat exactly the same diet and one person is skinny as a rail and the other one looks a bit like a balloon.  We are all snowflakes.  We are all different and and we have different metabolisms.  And yes, maybe the doctor should not have stated the obvious.  The thing is that Christie, by attacking the doctor, shows himself to be thin skinned and unable to accept personal criticism.  Anyone who wishes to be president had better be prepared to accept almost non-stop criticism.  IT COMES WITH THE JOB.  Bottom line is that Christie's failure to handle criticism is definitely a mark against his being president.

I never left the republican party. It left me when it decided to worship lies, ignorance, stupidity and greed.

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Feb 8 13 10:32 PM

People, I think you are missing the point.  Christie has a weight problem and is well aware of it.  No one wants to be fat.  Two people can eat exactly the same diet and one person is skinny as a rail and the other one looks a bit like a balloon.  We are all snowflakes.  We are all different and and we have different metabolisms.  And yes, maybe the doctor should not have stated the obvious.  The thing is that Christie, by attacking the doctor, shows himself to be thin skinned and unable to accept personal criticism.  Anyone who wishes to be president had better be prepared to accept almost non-stop criticism.  IT COMES WITH THE JOB.  Bottom line is that Christie's failure to handle criticism is definitely a mark against his being president.

-ron4342

Christie is often very outspoken.    The Doctor was unprofessional.

Quote    Reply   

ron4342

fanatic

#13 [url]

Feb 8 13 11:23 PM

-cafereg38

I am not arguing that.  What I am saying is that the president, ANY PRESIDENT, is going to be under a constant barrage of criticism that will come from both professionals and unprofessionals.  Christie, or anyone else who runs for the presidency, had damn well better be able to handle that criticism.  Truman who received his share of criticism said it best, "If you can't handle the heat stay out of the kitchen."  The doctor's comments may have been unprofessional but Christie's continued attack on the doctor is un-presidential and makes him look petty and immature.

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Feb 9 13 1:06 AM

I have not been a fan of Gov. Christie.   But I think Dr. Connie Mariano is absolutely irresponsible for offering her medical opinion, from across the U.S.  She does not have his records and apparently has never met him.  She has written a book and apparently wants her 15 minutes of fame and also, of course, to sell her book.  If I needed a medical opinion, I would absolutely never, never go to see Dr. Mariano. Gov. Christie is very outspoken, but, in my opinion, the Governor was absolutely right.  He said that the "doctor" scared his 9-year-old son who asked his father whether he was going to die. Dr. Mariano:  a disgrace to medicine.

-cafereg38

Christie's "records":

Chris Christie (left) chats with David Letterman. | AP Photo

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Feb 9 13 1:14 AM

-cafereg38

What?  Now a doctor can't give a medical opinion?

"When you find a quotation on the internet attributed to me, please take the time to research whether or not I actually said it" -- Thomas Jefferson 1827

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Feb 9 13 1:19 AM

"Gov. Christie is very outspoken, but, in my opinion, the Governor was absolutely right.  He said that the "doctor" scared his 9-year-old son who asked his father whether he was going to die."

Look, I'm not a doctor...he'll, I don't even play one on tv.  But this much I can tell you, Governor Christie and his 9-year-old son...we're all gonna die.

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Feb 9 13 1:20 AM

-cafereg38

What?  Now a doctor can't give a medical opinion?

-gardenofyourmind

Especially a former presidential doctor, who voiced her concerns for him in that capacity:

"I'm worried he may have a heart attack. I'm worried he may have a stroke," former White House physician Connie Mariano, M.D. said in an interview with CNN.

Mariano, who served nine years as a doctor in the White House medical unit said Christie's obesity would certainly become an issue should he run for the presidency in 2016. She warned a future President Christie could suffer from potentially deadly complications from diabetes, sleep apnea, and heart disease.

"It's almost a like a time bomb waiting to happen unless he addresses those issues before running for office," Mariano said.

"I'm a Republican. I like Chris Christie. I want him to run. I just want him to lose weight," Mariano said. "I'm a physician more than I'm a Democrat or Republican. And I'm worried about this man dying in office."

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/02/05/former-wh-doc-on-christie-im-worried-about-this-man-dying-in-office/

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Feb 9 13 1:25 AM

I have not been a fan of Gov. Christie.   But I think Dr. Connie Mariano is absolutely irresponsible for offering her medical opinion, from across the U.S.  She does not have his records and apparently has never met him.  She has written a book and apparently wants her 15 minutes of fame and also, of course, to sell her book.  If I needed a medical opinion, I would absolutely never, never go to see Dr. Mariano. Gov. Christie is very outspoken, but, in my opinion, the Governor was absolutely right.  He said that the "doctor" scared his 9-year-old son who asked his father whether he was going to die. Dr. Mariano:  a disgrace to medicine.

-cafereg38

"She has written a book" isn't the sum of her resume:

Eleanor Concepcion "Connie" Mariano is a Filipino American physician and former flag officer in the United States Navy. She is the first Filipino American and graduate of the Uniformed Services University of Medicine to reach the rank of Rear Admiral in the U.S. Navy as well as the first woman to be the director of the White House Medical Unit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eleanor_Mariano

Quote    Reply   

zeek

fanatic

#19 [url]

Feb 9 13 7:16 AM

I am not arguing that.  What I am saying is that the president, ANY PRESIDENT, is going to be under a constant barrage of criticism that will come from both professionals and unprofessionals.  Christie, or anyone else who runs for the presidency, had damn well better be able to handle that criticism.  Truman who received his share of criticism said it best, "If you can't handle the heat stay out of the kitchen."  The doctor's comments may have been unprofessional but Christie's continued attack on the doctor is un-presidential and makes him look petty and immature.

-ron4342

I agree.  Nowadays, any presidential candidate had better be extremely thick skinned, because political mudslinging has gotten brutal over the past decade.  I agree that this doctor's statement was rather unprofessional in nature (although I would not have had a problem with her just agreeing in theory that morbid obesity does place the body at risk for serious complications, because it does), but Christie needs to let it go.  Belaboring the issue just makes him look more defensive about it. 

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help