Remove this ad

tengers

fanatic

Lead

Apr 16 13 10:22 PM

Tags : :

About 46 million people get food stamps. I think this system spends about $75 Billion a year,  roughly $1600 per person.  We were talking about this the other day and one person said you couldn't eat much on $4.50 a day.  Soooo, we bought a nice big $11 pot roast that was on sale, a bottle of $6 wine, a  bottle of stout beer, a few pounds of potatoes, some Bisquick, some asparagus, a small cream, some Olivio,  and an applesauce, a package of yeast, some walnuts, some dates and a small package of wheat flour and a bread flour and some goat cheese.. My choice of stores was a small private grocer who has good stuff, but they are not cheap. I dropped around $50 bucks.

Anyway, we made the pot roast with some stout beer in a dutch oven, mashed potatoes, dumplings, asparagus, gravy, and applesauce. Then I baked two loaves of wheatbread with walnuts and dates. I had enough flour for several more loaves. We had 4 people for dinner, plus us, so that made 6 meals that would choke a horse. There was enough pot roast and mashed potatoes  left over to make 2 really good piled high sandwiches on the whole wheat bread with goat cheese and lettuce (I had that). If I hadn't bought the wine, this would have been at least 8 fairly large meals of maybe 1800 calories for about $5.50  each and since I could bake several more loaves of bread, I think I could hit $4.50 with a bit of effort, but I think I would mow the lady's lawn next door to buy the wine anyway. Next I'll try a whole chicken, but I'll add cranberries to the sandwiches, and I may have to paint her garage door or buy Velveeta.  And, Oh! they brought a box of girl scout cookies. That was probably another $4.50.

Conclusion, Food Stamps plus say  $2 or 3 Bucks a day and  you can eat pretty well.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Apr 16 13 10:35 PM

::: eye roll :::

Allus somebody who has time to shop and bake bread and cook meals from scratch trying to 'splain to working folk with young'uns how great one can eat on SNAP benefits.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Apr 16 13 10:42 PM

Another point.  You ate your grocery money up in one big company meal plus two lunches.  If you were cooking for only two or three people, would you want pot roast for supper three or four nights in a row?

Do very many children even like asparagus?  Mine love it now, but they didn't when they were little.

And what about breakfast and lunch?  Do without so one can have pot roast for dinner half the week?

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Apr 16 13 11:17 PM

... I think I would mow the lady's lawn next door to buy the wine anyway....

... I may have to paint her garage door or buy Velveeta....

And what if the neighbors don't have any more money than you do and therefore can't afford to pay for labor?

Quote    Reply   

tengers

fanatic

#5 [url]

Apr 17 13 6:22 AM

Anne, you spend too much time thinking about why it can't be done and not enough time on why it can be done. My challenge was to see what I could cook up for $4.50 a day per person, not whether or not I think SNAP is a worthwhile program. As for cooking time, it took about 10 minutes to make bread, other than baking time and it doesn't take long to make a pot roast either. If you don't like the oven process, use a crock pot on warm. Mash potatoes can be made with a microwave in about 10 minutes as well. Cooking from scratch is cheaper and tastes better and is mostly a lost art. Kids also like to help with this sort of thing. My grand daughter age 5 1/2 is an excellent mash potato maker and it keeps her quite amused. As for mowing, kids don't do it anymore. There are opportunities for this kind of stuff. People just don't do it. I had a foot of snow here a while back and not one kid came to the door, but there were Mexicans out with shovels. In my day, I prayed for snow.

Quote    Reply   

clay1g

fanatic

#6 [url]

Apr 17 13 7:05 AM

Anne, you spend too much time thinking about why it can't be done and not enough time on why it can be done. My challenge was to see what I could cook up for $4.50 a day per person, not whether or not I think SNAP is a worthwhile program. As for cooking time, it took about 10 minutes to make bread, other than baking time and it doesn't take long to make a pot roast either. If you don't like the oven process, use a crock pot on warm. Mash potatoes can be made with a microwave in about 10 minutes as well. Cooking from scratch is cheaper and tastes better and is mostly a lost art. Kids also like to help with this sort of thing. My grand daughter age 5 1/2 is an excellent mash potato maker and it keeps her quite amused. As for mowing, kids don't do it anymore. There are opportunities for this kind of stuff. People just don't do it. I had a foot of snow here a while back and not one kid came to the door, but there were Mexicans out with shovels. In my day, I prayed for snow.

-tengers

A can't do attitude like Anne has is one reason why so many people are in the situation they're in.

People like Tengers say "Yes, you can."

People like Anne say "No, you can't."

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Apr 17 13 7:52 AM

About 46 million people get food stamps. I think this system spends about $75 Billion a year,  roughly $1600 per person.  We were talking about this the other day and one person said you couldn't eat much on $4.50 a day.  Soooo, we bought a nice big $11 pot roast that was on sale, a bottle of $6 wine, a  bottle of stout beer, a few pounds of potatoes, some Bisquick, some asparagus, a small cream, some Olivio,  and an applesauce, a package of yeast, some walnuts, some dates and a small package of wheat flour and a bread flour and some goat cheese.. My choice of stores was a small private grocer who has good stuff, but they are not cheap. I dropped around $50 bucks.

Anyway, we made the pot roast with some stout beer in a dutch oven, mashed potatoes, dumplings, asparagus, gravy, and applesauce. Then I baked two loaves of wheatbread with walnuts and dates. I had enough flour for several more loaves. We had 4 people for dinner, plus us, so that made 6 meals that would choke a horse. There was enough pot roast and mashed potatoes  left over to make 2 really good piled high sandwiches on the whole wheat bread with goat cheese and lettuce (I had that). If I hadn't bought the wine, this would have been at least 8 fairly large meals of maybe 1800 calories for about $5.50  each and since I could bake several more loaves of bread, I think I could hit $4.50 with a bit of effort, but I think I would mow the lady's lawn next door to buy the wine anyway. Next I'll try a whole chicken, but I'll add cranberries to the sandwiches, and I may have to paint her garage door or buy Velveeta.  And, Oh! they brought a box of girl scout cookies. That was probably another $4.50.

Conclusion, Food Stamps plus say  $2 or 3 Bucks a day and  you can eat pretty well.

-tengers

ANOTHER FFW E-MAIL FARCE.

SO WHEN THE LORD RETURNS AND TURNS ALL WEAPONS INTO PLOWSHARES AND PRUNING HOOKS.YOU GOING TO TRY THE USELES 2ND AMEND? WON'T DO YOU A BIT OF GOOD.OH,HAPPY DAY!

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Apr 17 13 7:56 AM

Under *W more Americans *Were Forced to accept *Welfare & Food stamps.. Instituted  along w/ WIC were started to Allow Poor Children to obtain a Balanced Nutritious Diet..!

Quote    Reply   

tengers

fanatic

#9 [url]

Apr 17 13 9:52 AM

ANOTHER FFW E-MAIL FARCE.

-nineoclok

Well, nine, I could make you dinner too. I have been cooking for many years. This really isn't hard, but it does take a bit of time and many people who are in difficult situations either have too much time on their hands, or too little and are madly running around trying to make ends meet as Anne has said. Those with a lot of time on their hands can do what I do and do ok with a modest supplement to their SNAP program. Sometimes, I think we have forgotten how to do the simpler things and sometimes I think people just don't know. There was an interesting program on the 7 O' Clock news the other night about a group that teaches people how to stretch their food dollars, especially those receiving some kind of aid.Their students said their life was much improved.  I like those kind of people because they make things work and they make things better. Pete Seeger, my favorite liberal once wrote a song that might be appropriate for this discussion. They sang it at his 90th birthday

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Apr 17 13 10:17 AM

REALLY? $50.00 WORKS OUT TO ABOUT 11 DAYS ON "SNAP"
REALLY YOU HAD  ENOUGH SANDWITCHES AND VEGETABLES FOR 11 DAYS?

WHAT ABOUT MILK, COFFEE, FRUIT, EGGS, BUTTER...ONE BIG SPLURGE MEAL IS NOT GOING TO STRETCH FOR 3 MEALS A DAY FOR 28-31 DAYS.
DOES NOT ADD UP

BESIDES IMAGINE THE OUTRAGE IF A FOOD-STAMP RECIPANT STOOD IN LINE AT THE GROCERY STORE WITH A POT ROAST, WINE AND GOAT CHEESE.

YOU'D HEAR THE RW'-ERS CRAP A BRICK FROM HERE TO THE MOON.

YOU WRITE SOME GOOD FAIRY TALES, THO

SO WHEN THE LORD RETURNS AND TURNS ALL WEAPONS INTO PLOWSHARES AND PRUNING HOOKS.YOU GOING TO TRY THE USELES 2ND AMEND? WON'T DO YOU A BIT OF GOOD.OH,HAPPY DAY!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Apr 17 13 10:19 AM

-tengers

Yep, the dollar meals at the fast food joints are the least expensive way to eat.  And they will kill you over time!

Quote    Reply   

tengers

fanatic

#12 [url]

Apr 17 13 10:28 AM

REALLY? $50.00 WORKS OUT TO ABOUT 11 DAYS ON "SNAP"
REALLY YOU HAD  ENOUGH SANDWITCHES AND VEGETABLES FOR 11 DAYS?
WHAT ABOUT MILK, COFFEE, FRUIT, EGGS, BUTTER...ONE BIG SPLURGE MEAL IS NOT GOING TO STRETCH FOR 3 MEALS A DAY FOR 28-31 DAYS.
DOES NOT ADD UP

BESIDES IMAGINE THE OUTRAGE IF A FOOD-STAMP RECIPANT STOOD IN LINE AT THE GROCERY STORE WITH A POT ROAST, WINE AND GOAT CHEESE.
YOU'D HEAR THE RW'-ERS CRAP A BRICK FROM HERE TO THE MOON.

YOU WRITE SOME GOOD FAIRY TALES, THO

-nineoclok

You needed to read the last line. It said SNAP + $2 or $3 a day could work, not SNAP by itself. Remember the S stands for Supplemental.

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Apr 17 13 10:42 AM

Anne, you spend too much time thinking about why it can't be done and not enough time on why it can be done....

-tengers

Nope.  I merely showed why it's unlikely that your culinary feat will be replicated in the homes of the struggling.

And I didn't even mention the folks who live in food deserts and rarely have the opportunity to shop in a full-size grocery store, sometimes not even a small grocery store, but because of location and time have to purchase a lot of their food from convenience-type stores.  The meat in the best-stocked of those places usually consists of packages of hot dogs and generally the only fresh produce are apples and bananas.  Besides a few loaves of bread and packages of hot dog buns, the rest of the inventory consists of overpriced canned beef stew, Vienna sausages, potted meat, tuna, Spam or Treet, fruit cocktail, sliced peaches, and tomato and chicken noodle soup, as well as sodas, milk, and beer.  Expensive, small packages and bottles of some stapes are often available, such as sugar, white flour, ketchup, mustard, and mayonnaise.  And for desert, there are popsicles and Dixie cups of ice cream.

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Apr 17 13 10:51 AM

You needed to read the last line. It said SNAP + $2 or $3 a day could work, not SNAP by itself. Remember the S stands for Supplemental.

-tengers

The idea behind SNAP is "supplemental," but many recipients have little with which to supplement whatever they receive in SNAP benefits.

And if a situation arises  --  an unexpected bill, a higher-than-usual electrical bill, an emergency  --  then their SNAP benefits represent their only means of purchasing food that pay period.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Apr 17 13 10:58 AM

-tengers

AND DO YOU INTEND ON REPORTING THAT $60-$90 A MONTH EARNED ON ODD JOBS TO YOUR CASE-WORKER? IF SO BENIFITS MAY BE REDUCED BY THAT AMOUNT.

IF NOT YOU ARE A WELFARE "CHEAT".

MASHED POTATOS WITHOUT MILK SALT OR BUTTER MUST TASTE MIGHTY GOOD! YUM

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Apr 17 13 11:09 AM

... My challenge was to see what I could cook up for $4.50 a day per person, not whether or not I think SNAP is a worthwhile program...

-tengers

So you met your personal challenge  --  including using some food you had on hand  --  but your personal challenge and the challenges faced by others, especially those who depend on SNAP benefits, are not usually the same.

For example, you continued, "As for cooking time, it took about 10 minutes to make bread, other than baking time."  Either your bread wasn't a yeast bread or you have a bread machine.  Most people wouldn't want to be limited to non-yeast types of bread on a regular basis and even fewer have bread-making machines.

And many people, including recipients of SNAP benefits, particularly the younger ones, have never made bread, and it's expecting a lot to suggest that people on limited incomes should invest their meager resources in experiments with unusual foods and unfamiliar preparations and techniques, because inedible failures don't just represent a learning experience to them;  they represent a loss of scare food.

Quote    Reply   

tengers

fanatic

#17 [url]

Apr 17 13 11:23 AM

Nope.  I merely showed why it's unlikely that your culinary feat will be replicated in the homes of the struggling.
And I didn't even mention the folks who live in food deserts and rarely have the opportunity to shop in a full-size grocery store, sometimes not even a small grocery store, but because of location and time have to purchase a lot of their food from convenience-type stores.  The meat in the best-stocked of those places usually consists of packages of hot dogs and generally the only fresh produce are apples and bananas.  Besides a few loaves of bread and packages of hot dog buns, the rest of the inventory consists of overpriced canned beef stew, Vienna sausages, potted meat, tuna, Spam or Treet, fruit cocktail, sliced peaches, and tomato and chicken noodle soup, as well as sodas, milk, and beer.  Expensive, small packages and bottles of some stapes are often available, such as sugar, white flour, ketchup, mustard, and mayonnaise.  And for desert, there are popsicles and Dixie cups of ice cream.
[/quote

Perhaps this Board should do something constructive and stop singing "There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza.. We have 125 Members, maybe we should publish a SNAP Cookbook with 50 recipes that ordinary people can use and with a modest supplement, help make things work..

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Apr 17 13 11:25 AM

... Cooking from scratch is cheaper and tastes better and is mostly a lost art. Kids also like to help with this sort of thing....

-tengers

Yes, grandpa, they do.  But many low-income parents who receive SNAP benefits don't themselves know much about cooking from scratch and, after a long day at work (probably making little more than minimum wage, if that), they really don't have the time or patience to engage in kitchen fun with the kiddies.  Their mission is to get as filling food as possible, given their budgetary constraints, on the table as quickly as possible.

We would do well to walk a mile in others' moccasins, not expect others to walk a mile in our shearling-lined L.L. Bean sheepskin slippers.

Quote    Reply   

tengers

fanatic

#20 [url]

Apr 17 13 11:36 AM

-annecucherry

Anne, this is exactly the type of food that Peter Jennings had on his program as "making and buying the wrong stuff". There is an outfit that trains people how to get out of this trap. The people also lost a lot of the fat in their bellies after learning how to cook properly..

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help