Remove this ad

Lead

Apr 19 17 10:08 AM

Tags : :

Will not seek re-election in 2018.

He's done enough damage, I'd say, good thing he's retiring.

Rep. Jason Chaffetz will not seek re-election in 2018, two sources who have been informed of his decision told BuzzFeed on Wednesday morning.

Chaffetz later confirmed in a statement on Facebook that he will "will not be a candidate for any office in 2018."

"Since late 2003 I have been fully engaged with politics as a campaign manager, a chief of staff, a candidate and as a Member of Congress. I have long advocated public service should be for a limited time and not a lifetime or full career. Many of you have heard me advocate, 'Get in, serve, and get out.' After more than 1,500 nights away from my home, it is time. I may run again for public office, but not in 2018," he said.

Chaffetz said he was confident he "would continue to be re-elected by large margins," and there were "no ulterior motives" behind his decision. But Chaffetz has said that he's interested in taking a "serious look" running for governor in 2020.

The Utah Republican was first elected in 2008 to represent Utah’s 3rd District.

As chairman the House Oversight Committee, Chaffetz has drawn attention and criticism for his handling of conflicts of interest investigation into Hillary Clinton and potential investigations into President Donald Trump. Some of that criticism bubbled over in recent months, with angry constituents lambasting Chaffetz at a packed town hall over the February recess.

A spokesperson for Chaffetz did not immediately return a request for comment.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

elcymoo

fanatic

#3 [url]

Apr 19 17 10:14 AM

BRAD REED

Top Republican and Benghazi crusader Jason Chaffetz will not seek reelection in Congress

19 APR 2017 AT 10:44 ET                   

Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-UT), the powerful head of the House Oversight Committee, will not seek reelection in 2018.

A report from BuzzFeed on Wednesday morning claimed that Chaffetz will step down at the end of his term in Congress next year. Shortly after BuzzFeed’s report posted, Chaffetz himself confirmed the news on his own Facebook page and said that his decision was an entirely personal one to spend more time closer to his home in Utah.

“For those that would speculate otherwise, let me be clear that I have no ulterior motives,” he wrote. “I am healthy. I am confident I would continue to be re-elected by large margins. I have the full support of Speaker Ryan to continue as Chairman of the Oversight and Government Reform Committee.”

In his statement, Chaffetz made no mention of future political ambitions and said that his plan was to “return to the private sector” in some capacity.

Chaffetz, who made a name for himself by holding multiple hearings on the terrorist attack against an American consulate in Benghazi during the Obama years, has come under fire from some of his constituents for not doing nearly as much to hold President Donald Trump accountable for multiple scandals, including Russian interference in the 2016 election and conflicts of interest between Trump’s businesses and American foreign policy.

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/04/top-republican-and-benghazi-crusader-jason-chaffetz-will-not-seek-reelection-in-congress-report/

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Apr 19 17 10:25 AM

Viral fundraising catapults Dem over Chaffetz

First Published Apr 16 2017 01:51PM      Last Updated Apr 17 2017 11:57 am

New reports » First-time candidate rides frustration over Trump and health care bill to claim more money than five-term incumbent.

Democrat and first-time candidate Kathryn Allen has leapfrogged Rep. Jason Chaffetz in nearly every metric of campaign fundraising: She raised more money, received contributions from more people and, after expenses, has more cash available to spend.

So far this year, she raised nearly $400,000 more than the five-term Republican congressman, according to first quarter filings due Saturday, leaving her with $534,300 in her account. For the quarter, Chaffetz collected about $176,500. He has $402,700 in cash on hand.

Unlike Chaffetz, small donors provided most of the Allen's money for the 2018 race. Of the total $564,000 that she collected, 88 percent came from folks who donated no more than $200. ...

more @  http://www.sltrib.com/news/5183376-155/viral-fundraising-catapults-dem-over-chaffetz

Jason "put GOP first" Chaffetz see the writing on the wall in 2018.
Cool02

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” - Edmund Burke

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Apr 19 17 10:36 AM

jryan80033 wrote:
Will not seek re-election in 2018.

He's done enough damage, I'd say, good thing he's retiring.

Rep. Jason Chaffetz will not seek re-election in 2018, two sources who have been informed of his decision told BuzzFeed on Wednesday morning.

Chaffetz later confirmed in a statement on Facebook that he will "will not be a candidate for any office in 2018."

"Since late 2003 I have been fully engaged with politics as a campaign manager, a chief of staff, a candidate and as a Member of Congress. I have long advocated public service should be for a limited time and not a lifetime or full career. Many of you have heard me advocate, 'Get in, serve, and get out.' After more than 1,500 nights away from my home, it is time. I may run again for public office, but not in 2018," he said.

Chaffetz said he was confident he "would continue to be re-elected by large margins," and there were "no ulterior motives" behind his decision. But Chaffetz has said that he's interested in taking a "serious look" running for governor in 2020.

The Utah Republican was first elected in 2008 to represent Utah’s 3rd District.

As chairman the House Oversight Committee, Chaffetz has drawn attention and criticism for his handling of conflicts of interest investigation into Hillary Clinton and potential investigations into President Donald Trump. Some of that criticism bubbled over in recent months, with angry constituents lambasting Chaffetz at a packed town hall over the February recess.

A spokesperson for Chaffetz did not immediately return a request for comment.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

He's setting himself up for a 2020 presidential run.  

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Apr 19 17 10:58 AM

crankypant wrote:
What do you think?  Did his dual role as Trump lackey and leader of fake Hillary Clinton investigations do him in?

>>>>>>>>>>

A governor run THEN a presidential run in the 2020s? 

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Apr 20 17 12:06 PM

How the Resistance Brought Down Chaffetz

April 19, 2017, Tyler Noel

Utah Congressman, Jason Chaffetz, announced on Wednesday that he will not seek reelection and will be stepping down as chair of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee. Chaffetz gained notoriety while in office for his politicized investigations into Hillary Clinton’s emails while she served as Secretary of State and Planned Parenthood.

While his exact reason for stepping down in 2018 is up for debate, some citing a possible run for governor in 2020 and others guessing that he may return to the private sector to rake up some money missed in his ‘civil service’ stint. A likely cause is Chaffetz simply grew tired of the endless criticisms of his failure to uphold and perform the duty of a legislator.

<<>>

https://www.democraticcoalition.org/single-post/2017/04/20/How-the-Resistance-Brought-Down-Chaffetz

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Apr 20 17 1:43 PM

liberationpoet wrote:
tincansalt wrote:
The 1st of many dominos?

Get enough stinking Republicans out so that the government serves the people!

194508_600.jpg
Cool02

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” - Edmund Burke

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Apr 20 17 3:22 PM

Let us not forget that Chaffetz was the senator who said, upon watching the "Access Hollywood" tape, that he couldn't support such a man and then face his own daughter. Uh-huh. All it took was 45's election and Chaffetz made a quick decision as to where his real loyalty resided and with whom. Maybe as he exits the House and heads back to Utah, he can re-locate the huge chunk of his soul that he surrendered in the process of putting party first ahead of his own family. Good riddance to bad rubbish !!!

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Apr 20 17 3:41 PM

jenniel wrote:
You think Pelosi, Maxine Wawa and a few others would take his advice and not make a career out of political offices.

Tell that to Orrin Hatch, Chuck Grassely and John McCain.

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Apr 20 17 3:47 PM

puzzleguy1 wrote:
jenniel wrote:
You think Pelosi, Maxine Wawa and a few others would take his advice and not make a career out of political offices.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
\Not to mention Mitch McConnell AND his wife.....

Quote    Reply   

jenniel

fanatic

#15 [url]

Apr 20 17 3:47 PM

puzzleguy1 wrote:

jenniel wrote:

Why?  Their brains are still working unlike Pelosi and Maxine 

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Apr 20 17 5:13 PM

jenniel wrote:

puzzleguy1 wrote:

jenniel wrote:

You are totally UNequipped to assess how anyone's brain is working.

Quote    Reply   

bkey

fanatic

#17 [url]

Apr 20 17 5:18 PM

puzzleguy1 wrote:
jenniel wrote:

puzzleguy1 wrote:

jenniel wrote:

You are totally UNequipped to assess how anyone's brain is working.

~~~~~~

So true. 

Quote    Reply   

elcymoo

fanatic

#18 [url]

Apr 20 17 6:04 PM

jenniel wrote:

Which of the ones you smear so often have ever engaged in the tactics used by Chaffetz in the House? 

Goodbye, Jason Chaffetz—For Now

A dependable party hack leaves at a very convenient time.

WASHINGTON—The Capitol's empty. Congress is on recess. But there's still a fresh breeze blowing down the marble hallways. The building's smarm factor was reduced by a substantial degree. From the NYT:

Mr. Chaffetz, 50, a Utah Republican who plainly relished his oversight role more under a Democratic administration, said he was ready to return to the private sector after more than 13 years in public service, calling his decision a "personal" one. "I have long advocated public service should be for a limited time and not a lifetime or full career," he said in a statement posted on Facebook. "After more than 1,500 nights away from my home, it is time." He said his decision was not based on either health or political concerns, adding that he was "confident" of his re-election should he have pursued it and retained support from Speaker Paul D. Ryan for his committee chairmanship.

This, I confess, is something of a surprise, although I think he's going to run for governor of Utah in 2020. (He already was facing a primary as well as a surprisingly well-financed Democratic challenger for his House seat, so maybe this is just a waving of the white feather.) Chaffetz established himself long ago as the hacko di tutti hacki of congressional investigators, a curly-haired McCarran with absolutely no shame at all.

During the campaign, he stated openly that he planned to make a Hillary Rodham Clinton presidency a living hell. Then, once the worst happened, and the crises began to pile up on the South Lawn, Chaffetz suddenly decided that his work as an investigator was done. Here's theTimes being very discreet:

On Capitol Hill, Mr. Chaffetz has shown an opportunistic streak, often rushing toward television cameras with an eager smile. During the election, he vacillated several times before backing President Trump. He said he would not be able to look his teenage daughter in the eye should he vote for Mr. Trump after revelations arose that Mr. Trump had boasted in 2005 of sexually assaulting women. Then he voted for him. And he vowed to investigate Hillary Clinton whether she won or not. With a ready foil in Mrs. Clinton, whose brushes with controversy have sustained many Republican congressional careers, Mr. Chaffetz appeared primed to emerge as a chief tormentor for a new Democratic White House.

And even more discreet:

After the F.B.I. director, James B. Comey, announced in July that the bureau would recommend that Mrs. Clinton not be charged over her use of a private email account when she was secretary of state, Mr. Chaffetz led House Republicans in rejecting Mr. Comey's conclusion. Five days after the announcement, Mr. Chaffetz asked the Justice Department to investigate whether Mrs. Clinton had lied in her testimony before Congress about the 2012 attacks in Benghazi, Libya. Mr. Chaffetz had been one of the first lawmakers to raise questions about the Obama administration's role in Benghazi, traveling to Libya less than a month after the attacks to evaluate security standards. "It's the nature of being the committee chairman to conduct oversight of the administration," he said last year, describing his role as a pursuit of facts, not a political agenda. But with Mr. Trump's surprise victory in November, Mr. Chaffetz found himself in an uncomfortable position: a watchdog who often sounded disinclined to watch over a fellow Republican.

The man was a poison salamander. The Congress is well rid of him.

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/news/a54635/jason-chaffetz-wont-run-reelection/

Quote    Reply   

elcymoo

fanatic

#20 [url]

Apr 20 17 7:23 PM

crankypant wrote:

Jason Chaffetz May Be Leaving Office As Early As Tomorrow

http://crooksandliars.com/2017/04/chaffetz-may-be-leaving-dc-his-term-ends

Rep. Jason Chaffetz, R-Utah, speaks during the Utah Republican Party nominating convention Saturday, April 26, 2014, in Sandy, Utah. About 4,000 Republican delegates are gathering in Sandy for their state nominating convention Saturday to pick the party's candidates for four congressional seats and nine legislative races. (AP Photo/Rick Bowmer)

Link

Republican officials in Utah expect Rep. Jason Chaffetz to step down from Congress, possibly as early as Friday, and were in the early stages of preparing for a special election to fill his 3rd district seat.

Because I’m usually a decent person, I will start by hoping that he and his family are healthy.

And if my hopes are met, there’s something going on. Even if you assume that Trump is toxic to the Republican brand, the Republicans are going to hold UT-03 unless Joseph Smith and Brigham Young descend from the heavens to endorse the Democrat. And that would only make the district competitive.

Then there’s this:

Now, Republican officials in both capitals say they expect Chaffetz to resign from the House altogether, possibly to accept a lucrative job offer.

Wingnut welfare is coaxing him aside before whatever the bad news is hits the media. That’s my read on this; he’s been caught, he knows he’s been caught, and he’s stepping aside because his goose is cooked.

If God’s sense of humor is operational, he was caught because he used unsecured email to send information about embassy security.

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/4/20/1654822/-Chaffetz-to-resign-by-Friday-Washington-Examiner

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help