Remove this ad

Trump's Lawyers Argue That Americans Have No Right To Free Speech At His Rallies

Rss     Subscribe     Share     Tweet    

0 Points

Lead

Tags : :

The First Amendment only applies to presidential candidates, not to the rest of us.
Holy Crap. 

Trump lawyer: ‘No right’ to protest at rallies

President Donald Trump’s lawyers argued in a Thursday court filing that protesters “have no right” to “express dissenting views” at his campaign rallies because such protests infringed on his First Amendment rights.

The filing comes in a case brought by three protesters who allege they were roughed up and ejected from a March 2016 Trump campaign rally in Louisville, Kentucky, by Trump supporters who were incited by the then-candidate’s calls from the stage to “get 'em out of here!”

Lawyers for Trump’s campaign have argued that his calls to remove the protesters were protected by the First Amendment. But the federal district court judge hearing the case issued a ruling late last month questioning that argument, as well as the claim that Trump didn’t intend for his supporters to use force.

The ruling cleared the case to proceed into discovery and towards a trial.  <<>>

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/04/20/donald-trump-protest-rallies-speech-237431

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

crankypant wrote:
The First Amendment only applies to presidential candidates, not to the rest of us.
Holy Crap. 

President Donald Trump’s lawyers argued in a Thursday court filing
that protesters “have no right” to “express dissenting views” at his
campaign rallies because such protests infringed on his First Amendment
rights.
The filing comes in a case brought by three protesters who allege
they were roughed up and ejected from a March 2016 Trump campaign rally
in Louisville, Kentucky, by Trump supporters who were incited by the
then-candidate’s calls from the stage to “get 'em out of here!”

Lawyers for Trump’s campaign have argued that his calls to remove
the protesters were protected by the First Amendment. But the federal
district court judge hearing the case issued a ruling late last month questioning that argument, as well as the claim that Trump didn’t intend for his supporters to use force.
The ruling cleared the case to proceed into discovery and towards a trial.  <<>>http://www.politico.com/story/2017/04/20/donald-trump-protest-rallies-speech-237431

Really? What about my 1st Amendment rights?
Does that mean I can't carry a free speech sign to a Trump Rally?   Is this 1939 Germany?

Quote    Reply   

jenniel

fanatic

#3 [url]

The way I see it...these three activists went to the rally for the sole purpose to start trouble and some shyster lawyer jumped all over this.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

jenniel wrote:
Love it...https://www.couchsurfing.com/people/kashiya-nwanguma

As usual, you have no clue how to stay on topic, What has Couchsurfing  have anything to do with his subject?   The answer is nothing, of course.
Or are you just trying to deflect from the fact that your president's lawyers are attempting to curb free speech at political rallies?   But you republicans really don't need the 1st amendment anyway.  
You have Fox to tell you the buzz words to use. ,, Very good jenneil, you do what you're told.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

jenniel wrote:
The way I see it...these three activists went to the rally for the sole purpose to start trouble and some shyster lawyer jumped all over this.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for checking in, Justice McReynolds. Your legal opinion is duly noted.

Quote    Reply   

jenniel

fanatic

#6 [url]

jryan80033 wrote:

jenniel wrote:The way I see it...these three activists went to the rally for the sole purpose to start trouble and some shyster lawyer jumped all over this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for checking in, Justice McReynolds. Your legal opinion is duly noted.

Come on now, Ryan, you know I am right...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

jenniel

fanatic

#7 [url]

tincansalt wrote:

jenniel wrote:

As usual, you have no clue how to stay on topic, What has Couchsurfing  have anything to do with his subject?   The answer is nothing, of course.
Or are you just trying to deflect from the fact that your president's lawyers are attempting to curb free speech at political rallies?   But you republicans really don't need the 1st amendment anyway.  
You have Fox to tell you the buzz words to use. ,, Very good jenneil, you do what you're told.

Why don't  you ask Kashiya...one of the plaintiffs in this nonsense lawsuit

Quote    Reply   

bkey

fanatic

#8 [url]

tincansalt wrote:
jenniel wrote:

~~~~

She was whining about me posting off topic yesterday.  trump wants to be King of the Dictators.

Quote    Reply   

elcymoo

fanatic

#9 [url]

It seems to me that Trump's lawyers have even less of a case now than they would have had during his campaign. After all, Trump is now the leader of the executive branch of our government, and can no longer claim to be just a private citizen. The First Amendment gives us the right to protest against the policies or actions of our government. 

Quote    Reply   

elcymoo

fanatic

#10 [url]

crankypant wrote:
Holy Crap. 

President Donald Trump’s lawyers argued in a Thursday court filing that protesters “have no right” to “express dissenting views” at his campaign rallies because such protests infringed on his First Amendment rights.

The filing comes in a case brought by three protesters who allege they were roughed up and ejected from a March 2016 Trump campaign rally in Louisville, Kentucky, by Trump supporters who were incited by the then-candidate’s calls from the stage to “get 'em out of here!”

Lawyers for Trump’s campaign have argued that his calls to remove the protesters were protected by the First Amendment. But the federal district court judge hearing the case issued a ruling late last month questioning that argument, as well as the claim that Trump didn’t intend for his supporters to use force.

The ruling cleared the case to proceed into discovery and towards a trial.  <<>>

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/04/20/donald-trump-protest-rallies-speech-237431

Trump doesn't understand the First Amendment, but you'd think his lawyers would. It says that Congress shall pass no laws 'abridging free speech'. What it doesn't say is that every citizen shall have the right to say whatever he wants to without being challenged by others. 

Quote    Reply   

elcymoo

fanatic

#11 [url]

Where Did Trump Find These Lawyers?

Dispatches from the land beyond parody.

WASHINGTON—I am not a constitutional scholar, though I occasionally play one here in the shebeen, but, Lord above, even the people whose only contact with the actual Constitution is ducking under the portico of the National Archives on a rainy day have to know that this argument is not exactly well-constructed. From Tiger Beat on the Potomac:

Trump's lawyers also argue that he had every right to call for the removal the protesters since they "obviously interfered with the Trump campaign's First Amendment right" by "vigorously expressing their disdain for Mr. Trump," including by chanting and holding up signs depicting Trump's face on the body of a pig, among other anti-Trump messages. "Of course, protesters have their own First Amendment right to express dissenting views, but they have no right to do so as part of the campaign rally of the political candidates they oppose," Trump's lawyers wrote.

Actual lawyers made this argument? I mean, actual lawyers who went to actual law schools and now work for actual law firms made this argument in actual legal documents presented in an actual lawsuit before an actual court of law? Is it too late to get a refund? Let's leave the rest to Adam Schiff, District Attorney for New York County.

When did we turn this office over to the Marx Brothers?

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/news/a54677/trump-lawyers-protesters-first-amendment/

Quote    Reply   

samemym

fanatic

#12 [url]

I suppose to some extent this is true. A rally is an event for SUPPORTERS of the person. It's not a town hall. They should have their own ANTI rally nearby or something but no, they shouldn't disrupt the rally like party crashers. imo mym

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help